As we celebrate Mother’s Day, it’s a great time to reflect on the blessings of being a mommy to two active toddlers. Our days are hectic and filled with lots of drama (aka fighting between my daughters) and it can be so easy to grumble about how tired I am or how difficult it is to raise my little ones who are only 18 months apart (or how many diapers I have to change).
But I know that despite how exhausted I am, at the end of the day I am a very blessed mother. It’s such an honor and privilege that we shouldn’t take for granted, especially as I think about my friends who have been waiting to get pregnant for quite some time. Furthermore, I know that God truly had mercy on our family by granting us healthy daughters as I battled hyperemesis with both my pregnancies.
Here is my list of the top ten joys of being a mama to toddlers:
- Hearing them say, “I love you.”
- Receiving hugs and slobbery kisses from them.
- The way they eagerly imitate everything you do (from the way you eat & drink to the way you scold the dog).
- Knowing that you are their security in times of distress.
- The privilege of training them to obey the Lord
- Losing yourself joyfully in sacrificing your body, time and energy to these little ones because they are so needy
- The complete and genuine joy in their faces when you come home…from a short trip to the grocery store.
- Hearing them say the darnedest things like – “Mommy, don’t worry.”
- Having a little shadow with you all day – they follow you even into the bathroom.
- Witnessing their amazing milestones – walking, talking, climbing, spinning, engaging in pretend play, making friends, saying their own prayers.